CIRCULATION POLICY AND USE REGULATIONS
• No food or drink is allowed in the library.
• Book bags and other items must be checked in at the circulation desk.
• Quiet is to be maintained in the library. If you need a meeting area for group work please ask. Reservations can be made.
• No cell phone use in the library
• Users agree to assume responsibility for the damage or loss of materials and agree to comply with library rules and regulations.
• Materials should be returned to the circulation desk during hours the library is open, and to the book return when the library is closed.
- Return material to the circulation desk during library hours. After hours, return books to a library book drop. Refer to the lending library for information on returning non-book materials. Return interlibrary loan material to 133 Doe.
- Return Receipts may be requested from a circulation desk for returned material. Materials damaged or incomplete should be brought immediately to the owning library circulation desk to discuss repair or replacement options that may be available. The Library does not keep a record of receipts issued.
1. Library users: ONLY those with a current UC Berkeley registration card, staff identification card, or Library Borrowing-Privileges Card may check out library materials.
2. Borrowers who have overdue materials and/or owe any service fees will be deprived of their borrowing privileges until the overdue material(s) are returned and/or replacements are paid in full.
3. Non-Ethnic Studies graduate students working for ES faculty require a verification letter from the ES faculty in order to check out materials for one month.
- A maximum of four items can be checked out per day. A borrower may have only eight items checked out in total.
- One week: UC Berkeley Students and Staff
- One month: Ethnic Studies Graduate Students
- Six months: UCB Faculty
- Two days: Chicano Studies and Comparative Ethnic Studies Videos ONLY 2 at a time. Borrower must fill out a checkout card.
Asian American and Native American Studies videos are non-circulating, except for UC Berkeley Faculty.
One Day Microfilm Reels ONLY 2 at a time and they must be returned the same day 15 minutes before the library closes
One copy of each reserves title will be non-circulating. Up to 2 reserve readings may be checked out at a time. As determined by the instructor, reserves lending periods are either 2 hours or one day.
Non-circulating Materials: Green, yellow and red dot books, periodicals, newspapers, newsletters, newsclippings, and vertical files.
For Archival Materials see Rules for the use of the Special Collections
Renewals: No renewals through voice mail or by phone. Materials can be renewed online through OskiCat, or in person.
Materials on Hold
1. At a user's request, an item may be placed on hold. When the item becomes available, notification is made by phone or email.
2. Item must be picked up within 3 days of notification; after 3 days, the item(s) will be placed back into circulation.
The service charge policy will be strictly enforced. At the discretion of the Librarians, replacement copies will be accepted. However, the Ethnic Studies Library will charge the University Library standard $150 replacement fee or more, depending on the value of the title; plus a processing fee of $10 for each non-returned book.
Two-week loan period on non-restricted materials and processed through UC Interlibrary Loan Offices only. The Ethnic Studies Library reserves the right to deny an ILL request for restricted, fragile, unique or out-of-print materials.
No interlibrary loans of microfilm or videos.
Monday to Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday: 1:00pm to 6:00pm
Monday to Friday: 1:00pm to 5:00pm
Closed holidays and Saturdays prior to or after holidays. Also closed during academic winter break in December and January.
Rules for the Use of Ethnic Studies Library Archives and Special Collections
Users are responsible for complying with copyright law.
No photocopies of photographs. Pencil only in the archive use area.
ALL archives materials must be inspected at the Circulation Desk upon departure.
PERMISSION TO USE: Permission to examine manuscripts and printed materials in the Special Collection, including Locked Case materials and photograph collections, does not carry with it permission to publish. It is also subject to whatever restrictions have been placed on specific holdings by their writers, donors, or the Ethnic Studies Library. In certain cases, users may be requested to use microfilm or printed copies of the manuscripts when such copies are available.
REGISTRATION: Fill out the archives registration form at the Circulation Desk and show identification. All briefcases, laptop cases, envelopes, notebooks with pockets and other items must be checked in.
RESPONSIBILITY: Users are responsible for the safeguarding of any materials made available to him/her and must preserve the existing order and arrangement of the archival materials. If the order is obviously disarranged or if materials appear to be missing, the user should immediately report the matter to library staff.
DUPLICATION: duplication of photographs or archival materials and reprinting of photographs is allowed if it can be done without injury to the material and when not otherwise restricted, and with permission from the librarian in charge of the collection. Prepayment is required (No cash, check to UC Regents ONLY). Scanning of archives is not allowed. Cameras with no flash are allowed for a fee of $10 per day. All photographs must include an ESL citation label (available at the archives use table). Photos and reprints of photographs, photocopies of archive materials and other resources are for personal use ONLY. They may not be reduplicated and deposited elsewhere or added to a public website without the prior written permission of the Ethnic Studies Library. All photocopies are to be made by the library staff and at the expense of the user (at 75c per page). Limit of 5 pages per collection.
On-site filming or videotaping of archives and fragile materials (appointment required): $250 per hr/minimum. Or user may request digital scans from original material and from images to be emailed for $40 per color scan and $30 per scan per black & white scan (for reference use only).
Use fees for various editorial and commercial purposes, including video, television, film, internet and exhibitions, range from $50 to $150. See separate schedule, Ethnic Studies Library Use Fee Schedule,* for details. Fees are negotiable for non-profit organizations. Payment of fees does not grant a license to reprint or publish. Contact librarian for more information.
COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS: Duplication of archival materials, video and photographic reproductions is supplied for REFERENCE purposes only. Permission to publish does not constitute copyright clearance; materials owned by the Ethnic Studies Library which may be subject to copyright clearance will also require written permission from the current copyright owner(s), their heirs or assignees.
*Currently available at the Ethnic Studies Library
The Ethnic Studies Library is pleased to accept donations in the form of library materials or monetary gifts. Please contact the Head Librarian, Lillian Castillo-Speed at csl [at] library [dot] berkeley [dot] edu for more information.